Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Catch 22 of New Year's Resolutions

I promised a post grocery trip post, so here it is. As a warning, I'm in a pretty terrible mood so this may get ugly, but trying to navigate through Costco on the day of a Steeler's play off game is nearly impossible. Also, half of the Penguins line up is officially near death and as such, I am in a deep hockey induced depression.
For starters, let me whine about humans in general. I have a cell phone. I like it. It does fun things and I like to be able to google whatever I want, whenever I want, and to check Facebook on my smoke breaks. I DO NOT HOWEVER DRAG MY FEET WHILE IN PUBLIC, STARING AT MY PHONE WHILE RUNNING MY CART INTO UNSUSPECTING PEOPLE. These people are obnoxious, and after being in Costco for all of 15 seconds, I declared that I was ready to punch most of them. If your child cannot behave long enough while in public that you have to subdue them with loud video games, then leave them at home. In general, we all just want to get our large, bulk groceries and get out, so please people, don't make the experience any worse by being rude and inconsiderate.
Phew. Sorry but I just needed to get that off my chest!
Other than wanting to commit justifiable homicide, Costco was successful. We usually go there for toilet paper and paper towels...because we can get like a 3 month supply of each for pretty cheap. We tend to find a few other good deals while we're there too. Today we acquired coffee, soy sauce, a lifetime supply of macaroni and cheese, and 45,000lbs of lunch meat. oooo! Costco also had a totally awesome chest freezer for $170. Please expect that to be purchased, and hopefully soon.
Giant Eagle wasn't bad either. To be honest, all of the coupons that I attempted to use worked. I got a stock pile of razors for $16 (36 razors will last me a lifetime!) My inability to successfully coupon comes down to a few things:
1. I don't support a family of 62 and as such, I do not need a hoard of Hamburger Helper or Chef Boyardee.
2. Most of the time, I don't REALLY need any of the things that I find coupons for...so there's potential that I'm buying items that I wouldn't have bought without the coupon, and thus spending MORE money than I would have.
3. Last, the Catch 22...is it possible to buy HEALTHY items while saving money?? This, I am not sure of. I have 46 coupons for pizza rolls. Hows about a coupon for some quinoa, or broccoli, or ANYTHING that's perishable and not full of crap?

Now this is not a rant intended to blame anyone for this problem. I understand that people are going to buy carrots with or without coupons, so the carrot factory doesn't really need to put out coupons. This is purely a true question...IS it possible to eat healthy and save money?

On a completely unrelated note, Jared started baking bread. It was really quite delicious and cheap.


And on a completely other note, Jared apparently just stabbed himself in the hand while butchering a chicken...saving money is fun?

4 comments:

  1. Okay, crisis somewhat averted. Jared dropped a bowl and caught it...while smashing it against a cabinet. But we voted that no stitches were needed. That said, all money just saved using coupons was blown on wound closures and medical tape...and Im down a bowl. Such is life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn it, I almost bought you bowls for Christmas!

    I've never heard of coupons for produce, but sometimes there are sales. You can also get cheaper produce at the Strip, but that's an extra trip.

    The Co-op has good deals on healthy food items, and pretty decent coupons from time to time. You don't have to be a member to go, but membership does save extra. And if Jared is going to bake bread, you will save tons on those ingredients at the Co-op. Maybe you and I can go together sometime and I can show you how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber, I'm pretty familiar with the co-op. I totally forgot about it though in terms of getting bulk grains and flour and such. Where do you find coupons?? Also, I keep forgetting that i have like 5 more ikea bowls in my car, so we'll probably pull through in the bowl department =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Jared is going to bake bread have a number of recipes (mostly my own), about 5 lbs of bread flour and a good bit of decent dry active yeast that I no longer have any use for. I also can probably lend Jared "The Bread Bible", which is probably the best cook book I've seen for bread.

    ReplyDelete